Would-be smugglers planned to catapult drugs over border
The U.S. National Guard spotted would-be drug smugglers on video Jan. 21 near the Naco Border Patrol station along the Mexico-Arizona border setting up a catapult, which was probably intended to be used to launch marijuana over the border.
“This is definitely an unusual find,” U.S. Border Patrol agent Jason Rheinfrank told the Star on Thursday. “It’s definitely something new.”
The border agency released a clip of a video that shows the suspects setting up the catapult and testing it without putting anything in the catapult.
The National Guard then contacted the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency, who contacted Mexican authorities. Mexican authorities arrived and “nothing was actually launched across the border,” Rheinfrank explained.
Officials seized an SUV, which was attached to the catapult on a trailer-like vehicle, and approximately 45 pounds of marijuana.
The suspects fled the area before they could be captured.
- 529,248 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 422,840 Views Category: Culture
- 340,213 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 280,343 Views Category: Fun
- 199,864 Views Category: Odd
- 157,947 Views Category: Fun
- 156,064 Views Category: Videos
- 155,167 Views Category: Nugs
- 150,928 Views Category: News
- 149,827 Views Category: Nugs